If you’re looking for ways to maintain fitness with a healthy diet without sacrificing flavor, consider these options for low-calorie snacks. They’re sure to satisfy your cravings while helping you stay on track with your nutritional goals.
When you feel hungry in the mid-afternoon, the temptation to grab unhealthy snacks can be strong. However, you can easily incorporate healthy low-calorie snacks into your diet without much difficulty. Yes, it’s true.
If you’re looking for a way to curb your cravings and boost your energy levels, these snack ideas with low calories are worth considering. It’s easy for mindless snacking to become a calorie overload, so it’s crucial to keep your snacks between 100 and 200 calories. Additionally, opting for nutritious snack options such as the ones recommended by Muscle and Fitness can help you meet your daily needs for micronutrients, fiber, and protein.
For additional details regarding healthy eating practices, please visit our nutrition segment.
Popcorn is a delicious and satisfying snack that can fulfill your desire for something salty and crunchy. Despite its light and airy texture, popcorn can make you feel like you’ve consumed more than you have. Moreover, it is heart-healthy because of its abundance of polyphenols and its classification as a whole grain. What’s more, a mere 2.5 cups of popcorn contains just 110 calories, two grams of fat, and a mere 200 milligrams of sodium, making it an excellent snack option.
Edamame stands out as a top-notch nutritional choice due to its low-fat, low-cholesterol, and high-protein profile. This vegetable also boasts a wealth of essential fatty acids, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Fresh edamame can be purchased, or it can be found in the freezer section of most grocery stores. A single cup of edamame contains 189 calories, 8 grams of fat, 15 grams of carbohydrates, and 17 grams of protein.
Grilling pineapple the night before work can be a healthy addition to your diet. This juicy fruit is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can help prevent cancer, lower blood pressure, and promote heart health. Additionally, bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple, has been shown to reduce inflammation after exercise. For an extra boost of protein, try pairing a cup of pineapple with cottage cheese.
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet potato chips offer a crunchy and savory treat that can be made without compromising your macros. By creating them yourself, you can ensure that they remain healthy. To make sweet potato chips, begin by peeling two sweet potatoes and slicing them into thin pieces. Next, use a paper towel to pat the slices dry before laying them out on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the slices, and add a sprinkle of sea salt. Bake the chips in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
Celery with Peanut Butter
It’s time to indulge in a childhood favorite snack – celery with peanut butter. With around 75% water content, celery is a hydrating and low-calorie option. The remaining 25% is fiber, which helps keep you feeling full for longer periods. Adding peanut butter to each celery stick is a great way to boost your protein intake and satisfy your hunger.
Are you in the mood for a slight sugar boost? Consider indulging in some frozen red grapes. Start by washing the grapes with cold water, then put them in a plastic bag and freeze them until they are solid. Red grapes are a great source of antioxidants, particularly resveratrol, which has been associated with reducing the risk of heart disease.
Out of all the varieties of nuts, walnuts contain the highest amount of alpha-linolenic acid, which is a type of plant-based omega-3 fatty acid. Moreover, they have a greater proportion of polyunsaturated fats compared to monounsaturated ones. A single ounce of walnuts provides 190 calories, four grams of protein, and 18 grams of fat (out of which 13 grams are polyunsaturated). According to the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, it is recommended that individuals shift towards a more plant-based diet that emphasizes the consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. The guidelines suggest that replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats, especially polyunsaturated fats, can help achieve this goal.